Sunday, February 27, 2011
9:41 PM | Posted by Brandy K | | Edit Post
Yes, I'm going to say it. Get ready....Arrrrgg! Oh yeah, a pirate's life would be fine with me! Swashbuckling adventures on the high seas, being able to carry a sword (cool!), and best of all...the prospect of running into the likes of Captain Jack Sparrow--sign me up!
I do need to first discover a reliable cure for violent sea-sickness. That's a problem. Oh...and I don't really care for rum. I wonder if they could have Margaritas on board my sailing vessel. I do care for them. There is also the small, but important matter of...ahem...personal hygiene. I will need a shower...with lots of fresh water...daily. Oh, what about scurvy? Would I just carry aboard lots of citrus? That would do the trick, right? I could guard my citrus hoard from my fellow pirates with my trusty sword. I don't want scurvy. Bilge rats might be a deal-breaker. I might have to reconsider this plan...
Alright, alright...let's talk cupcakes! :) These little cupcakes are so yummy. They have become one of my favorite cupcakes (second to THESE) because they come together so easily and are reliably delicious! They are very dense, almost like a cake-y brownie. To me, this is a good thing. Light and fluffy--they are not. Again, not a problem for me. I went fairly light on the frosting with these because there is so much going on with the cupcake. The recipe for the frosting makes A LOT, so you should have plenty of lovely chocolate buttercream for your cupcakes.
Just a note on the frosting...You've found it. This is the Chocolate Buttercream of your dreams.
You will worship it's creamy, dreamy fluffiness.
Chocolate Chip CupcakesSource: My Baking Addiction
Makes 24 Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
6 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 12-cup standard cupcake pans with paper liners.
2. Into a medium bowl, sift together cocoa, flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each, then beat in vanilla. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with sour cream and beginning and ending with flour. Gently fold in chocolate chips.
3. Pour batter into cups, filling each 3/4 full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes.
4. Cool in pan 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Simple Chocolate Buttercream
Source: slightly adapted from Elinor Klivans in Chocolate Cakes
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup heavy cream, at room temp
1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Put both chocolates in a heat-proof bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir the chocolates and microwave for 30 more seconds, stir the chocolates until evenly melted and smooth. Don't burn it! Set aside to cool.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the cream and espresso powder until espresso powder is dissolved. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, powdered sugar, and salt until smoothly blended and creamy. On low speed, beat in the melted chocolate, coffee mixture and vanilla until blended into the frosting. On medium speed, beat the frosting until it is fluffy and lightens slightly in color, 2-5 minutes. Spread frosting on cooled cupcakes.
This post is linked to: Cupcake Tuesday
A Baker's Sunday
- 2013 (4)
- 2012 (35)
- Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
- S'mores Brownies
- Caramel-Filled Brownies
- Glazed Orange Scones
- Baked Creamy Chicken Taquitos
- Southwestern Chicken-Corn Chowder
- Cookies & Cream Truffles and Cake Balls
- Millionaire Bars
- Sour Cream Cheese Enchiladas
- Simple & Amazing Pound Cake
- Red Beans and Rice
- Morning Glory Muffins
- Fontina Mac & Cheese
- Oatmeal! Exciting, no??!
- 2010 (10)
Powered by Blogger.