Wednesday, May 18, 2011
7:20 AM | Posted by Brandy K | | Edit Post
Here's a little cupcake that will lift you right out of a mid-afternoon funk. It will make you smile and skip...at the same time!
Malted Espresso Cupcakes topped with Coffee Buttercream
You know you want one.
It's topped with a Whopper after all. You know you can't resist that. Or maybe it's just me that can't resist Whoppers? I can't be the only one.
I just really like to say "Whopper" too.
Anway! Let's get down to business here and talk about what makes this cupcake so good...seriously good. The cupcake is flavored with malted milk powder, coffee and a little instant espresso powder. I tossed in some chopped bittersweet chocolate because it seemed like the right thing to do. The frosting is a simple buttercream with coffee, Kahlua and espresso added in to make it special!
I really enjoyed these little cupcakes. I hope you do too. Make some!
(Oh, and by the way, I wouldn't give these to the kiddies just before bed. Just sayin'...)
Malted Espresso Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream
Source: adapted from Julie Hasson in 125 Best Cupcake Recipes
(get the printable recipe here)
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp instant espresso powder
1/2 cup malted milk powder
1/4 cup freshly brewed coffee
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 oz. bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
2. In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
3. In a liquid measuring cup, whisk together malted milk powder, espresso powder and coffee until smooth.
4. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, butter and eggs until smooth. Alternately whisk in flour mixture with coffee mixture, beating until smooth. Gently fold in chopped chocolate.
5. Scoop batter into prepared pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 cups confectioners' sugar
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp instant espresso powder
2 tsp hot coffee
2 tsp Kahlua
Stir together vanilla, instant espresso powder, coffee and Kahlua until smooth; set aside. In a medium bowl, beat butter, sugar and salt until well combined and smooth. Add coffee mixture and continue to beat until frosting is light and fluffy. Spread icing over cooled cupcakes.
This post is linked to: What's Cooking Wednesday
Made It On Monday
Sweet Tooth Friday
Sweets for a Saturday
Sweet Indulgences Sunday
Melt in Your Mouth Monday
Totally Tasty Tuesdays
These Chicks Cooked
- 2013 (4)
- 2012 (35)
- Blueberry Pound Cake
- One Cupcake...Two Ways
- Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Bars
- Candy Bar Brownies
- Malted Espresso Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- Zucchini Bread with Lemon-Buttermilk Glaze
- Star Wars Cupcakes
- Tortellini Soup with Caramelized Onions and Mushro...
- Oreo Swirl Brownies
- Yellow Cake Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache
- 2010 (10)
Powered by Blogger.