Sunday, May 8, 2011
1:54 PM | Posted by Brandy K | | Edit Post
If I would have been thinking ahead, I would have had this post ready for May 4th, which it seems was Star Wars Day. How cute, no?
May the 4th be with you! ...a little late!
Anyway, I made these little cupcakes for a Star Wars themed birthday party recently. Several of my son's friends are Star Wars obsessed. My boy climbed out of the depths of his own Star Wars obsession no too long ago, so he was very excited to see these cupcakes. I couldn't resist digging through his toys to find some little props for a photo. Cupcakes, clone trooper, Kit Fisto and a something-or-other ship--perfect photo op! The clone trooper looks a little bewildered though...I'll have to talk to him.
I used this yellow cake recipe for the cupcakes, and for the frosting, I used my favorite chocolate buttercream.
Here is the handy-dandy printable for the cupcakes-Yellow Cake Cupcakes.
And another for the chocolate buttercream-Chocolate Buttercream.
Yellow Cake Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache Frosting
Source for the cupcakes: Shelly Kaldunski's lovely book-Cupcakes
makes 12 cupcakes
1 1/4 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
6 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup whole milk
Preheat oven to 350. Line a standard 12 cup muffin tin with paper or foil liners.
In a bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until combined. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk to the butter/sugar mixture, beginning and ending with the flour, beating on low speed until just combined and no traces of flour remain.
Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling each about 3/4 full. Bake until lightly golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 18-20 minutes. Let the cupcakes cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
Simple Chocolate Buttercream
Source: slightly adapted from Elinor Klivans in Chocolate Cakes
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
1/3 cup heavy cream, at room temp
1/2 tsp instant espresso powder
3/4 cup butter, softened
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1. Put both chocolates in a heat-proof bowl and microwave for 30 seconds. Stir the chocolates and microwave for 30 more seconds, stir the chocolates until evenly melted and smooth. Don't burn it! Set aside to cool.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the cream and espresso powder until espresso powder is dissolved. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the butter, powdered sugar, and salt until smoothly blended and creamy. On low speed, beat in the melted chocolate, coffee mixture and vanilla until blended into the frosting. On medium speed, beat the frosting until it is fluffy and lightens slightly in color, 2-5 minutes. Spread frosting on cooled cupcakes.
This post is linked to: Savory Sundays
Melt in Your Mouth Monday
Made it On Monday
What's Cooking Wednesday
Totally Tasty Tuesdays
Sweets for a Saturday
Sweet Indulgences Sunday
- 2013 (4)
- 2012 (35)
- Blueberry Pound Cake
- One Cupcake...Two Ways
- Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Bars
- Candy Bar Brownies
- Malted Espresso Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- Zucchini Bread with Lemon-Buttermilk Glaze
- Star Wars Cupcakes
- Tortellini Soup with Caramelized Onions and Mushro...
- Oreo Swirl Brownies
- Yellow Cake Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache
- 2010 (10)
Powered by Blogger.