Wednesday, May 11, 2011
7:06 AM | Posted by Brandy K | | Edit Post
I don't know who the genius was that first put shredded zucchini in baked goodies. I do know it had to be a mom though, with kids who gagged, sputtered and played dead when presented with sauteed zucchini on their little dinner plates. I imagine that she had a garden full of zucchini and kids that wouldn't touch it.
Hmmmm....what to do?
Shred it and put it in a quick bread!
My kids are typical veggie-haters, but they do love zucchini bread. I have another zucchini bread that I made quite often, but I wanted to try this one. I loved the idea of combining lemon & zucchini. I was so happy with the way the bread turned out--light, lemony and delicious! My kids liked it too, so that's a huge bonus. :) I truly can't remember where I clipped this recipe from. It most likely was from a Southern Lady magazine.
Give it a try. It's quick and easy.
Zucchini Bread with Buttermilk-Lemon Glaze
For the bread:
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup shredded zucchini*
2/3 cup whole milk
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 tsp lemon zest
1 large egg
For the glaze:
1/3 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
2 tsp whole buttermilk
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8x4" loaf pan with non-stick spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Add zucchini, stirring to coat with flour mixture. In a small bowl, combine milk, melted butter, zest and egg. Pour over flour mixture; stir just until combined. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
3. Bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan; let cool completely on wire rack.
4. In a small bowl, combine all glaze ingredients. Drizzle over bread.
*This usually works out to be one medium size zucchini. After shredding, I spread the zucchini out on a paper towel and let some of the moisture drain off.
This post is linked to: Made it On Monday
What's Cooking Wednesday
Totally Tasty Tuesdays
Sweets for a Saturday
Sweet Indulgences Sunday
These Chicks Cooked
- 2013 (4)
- 2012 (35)
- Blueberry Pound Cake
- One Cupcake...Two Ways
- Cookies and Cream Cheesecake Bars
- Candy Bar Brownies
- Malted Espresso Cupcakes with Coffee Buttercream
- Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
- Zucchini Bread with Lemon-Buttermilk Glaze
- Star Wars Cupcakes
- Tortellini Soup with Caramelized Onions and Mushro...
- Oreo Swirl Brownies
- Yellow Cake Cupcakes with Chocolate Ganache
- 2010 (10)
Powered by Blogger.